Thursday, May 8, 2014

FERREIRA: ”V”

Rating: RRR
Label: Melodicrock Records 2014
Review by Kimmo Toivonen

Ferreira's fifth album had the misfortune of being sent to us at the same time as the latest Stan Bush release (both on Melodicrock Records). I downloaded the files, and added them to my mp3 player so that I could listen to them on the way to work... because of the way the files were named I got to listen to one Stan Bush track, then one Ferreira track and so on. The inevitable comparison worked in Stan's favour, Ferreira's tracks sounded a bit flat next to his superbly produced album. Now I've been listening to the Ferreira tracks on their own, and they have grown on me. I still think that some of them could be a little more lively or colourful, but this isn't a bad sounding album at all.

Ferreira's style reminds me a bit of Firehouse and Nelson. There's a lot of backing vocals and harmonies and Marco Ferreira's voice is similar to that of the Nelson brothers. The highlights of the album for me are "You're No Friend of Mine", "Night To Remember" and the harder-edged "Sometime's Love's Not Enough" (no, it's not a Patty Smyth cover). I could've done without the closing track "In The End", an almost Pink Floydian ballad which sounds drastically different to the rest of the album and frankly quite dull.

Showcase

No comments:

Post a Comment